Friday, April 13, 2012

The HORROR!

My mom is awesome-and evil at the same time.

Let me explain:

For my birthday, she sent me a gift certificate to-wait for it- ATHLETA! I am in my glory. I was so excited when I opened that envelope and saw what it was. I started looking through the catalog with my gift certificate spending it three times over in my head and then BAM! Frozen...

Here I am, I have this awesome gift certificate and I can't bring myself to order anything. How do I spend it? I need things-a cover up for the beach, a new bathing suit, etc. I want things- that awesome hat, the cool dress, the funky purse. And then there are the work out clothes-dreamy pants, shirts and sports bras that I have been drooling over for months. What to do?

If I buy the work out clothes is it cheating? I am not at my weight goal that I had set to get the clothes- I am still a long way off. If I allow myself this luxury aren't I just saying it is ok if you don't meet your goals? Will that open up more avenues for me to cheat? Maybe if I can buy the clothes then I can eat the candy bar, skip the workout, blah, blah, blah...I'm not kidding- this is going through my head!

BUT- if I get the bathing suit and I do lose the weight then I have wasted the gift certificate because the bathing suit doesn't fit anymore. That seems like a silly idea. I have this problem a lot. Most likely it explains why I do all of my shopping from sale racks, Marshalls and TJ Maxx. I just can't warrant spending money on anything because I want to lose the weight and I am pretty sure I will. It has just taken me forever to do it- and as a result my wardrobe is smaller than either of my daughters and they are 2 and 4. I was saying to Lucas the other day,"Buddy, everyone thinks you own 5 shirts because you wear the same ones every week." I then went upstairs to get dressed and realized that I couldn't talk. The pot just called the kettle black! I truly do own about 5 shirts and only 3 pair of pants. (Not to mention the 1 pair of sweatpants!) Thank goodness for the kind gym friends that gave me their hand me downs. It served two purposes- it got me some new clothes and it made me believe that the weight would be lost. They gave me their fat clothes because they were going to the gym...see how that circle worked?

Then there are the purses and the shoes. Two things that are my loyal stand bys. In times of overweight, ideal weight, skinny weight a purse or a pair of shoes will always fit. I don't know anyone that owns a pair of "fat" shoes or their "skinny" purse. My closet is over run with that kind of stuff- accessories. They don't discriminate.

Oh the HORROR of an awesome gift certificate. I am torn...I guess I will just go look at the catalog again and keep dreaming. Maybe some day I will actually redeem it! I love you, evil Mom! Thanks for the gift certificate and the ensuing torture I have been living with each day.


4 comments:

Lexxie said...

Buy the workout clothes......it's a gift, therefore doesn't count against your goal, plus you deserve it. Just pull the trigger! You'll feel good, believe me!

Anonymous said...

love this! so true!

cait said...

is it ok that I also think the clothes look better on you? I was thinking it just the other day, being jealous of the top you had on!

You're becoming a cross fit beast!

Robyn said...

If I were you, I'd use the gift certificate to buy some great new workout clothes, and save the new swimsuit splurge for when I reached my goal.