Friday, February 10, 2012

At least I'm off the Couch.

Blog? Huh? Why the heck would I ever want to do something like this? I am definitely NOT interesting enough to be putting my life out there for everyone to read about. I'll be lucky if 10 people follow this thing. Is that what you do? You "follow" a blog? Either way, if I can figure out how to add sound effects I will be adding the sounds of crickets chirping when I add an additional post.

Nope. I am not blogging to win a popularity contest. That much is for certain. I have decided to start this in an effort to embarrass myself in to losing weight and getting in shape all while trying to raise three children that will not become criminals. Not a lofty goal, but one that I think might be attainable. Perhaps my struggles might speak to someone out there or I might even get an encouraging "You go, girl" every now and then. What I do know is that nobody wants to hear me talking about the gym, so instead I will keep all comments here on this blog. Spare you the pain by allowing you to opt in and see what is going on when you feel your voyeuristic tendencies rear their heads.

Enough on why I am doing this. I'm going to bring it all up to speed. Two and a half years ago I had my third child.  I am not my young, in shape self anymore and it has taken me this long to realize that in fact diet and exercise might be necessary to return to any sort of thinner version of me. So, my New Year's resolution was to join a gym and go, among other resolutions that I will discuss later. I made that resolution in November. I figure, why not- I'm ready.

Next step, find the place for me. I realized quickly that the YMCA was not that place. I can only do so much on an elliptical and there are too many people there. It would be really embarrassing when they have to call 9-1-1 because the out of shape lady who thought she could go hard on that day passed out/went flying off the treadmill, etc., etc.

A friend of mine has been a member of a gym for over a year now and she looks great. She also talks about it CONSTANTLY. How much she likes it, how good she feels, blah, blah, blah. I am hoping to spare my friends this conversation by doing that here on my blog. But, I thought to myself if she likes it so much and there is actually a person there telling you what the workout will be it sounds perfect. I went and checked it out and signed up.

Then I looked more in to it and realized that I just joined a CrossFit gym. Ummm, Google it. Yup! WTH was I thinking? I am the most out of shape woman there. I'm a mess. I've never picked up a weight in my life except to move my husband's free weight set across state lines 3 times! If you have ever seen me dance, I have the rhythm of a 2 year old and the coordination to match. These people are weight lifting machines, conditioned, toned and for some-specimens of work out beauty. And there I was. Huffing, puffing and practically blowing the gym down with my red faced, uncoordinated, out of shape muffin top pretending I could keep up. Some days I will program 9-1-1 in to the phone just in case. I already have the phone call to my husband scripted in my head when I am in the ambulance on my way to the hospital.

I'm two months in and still going. I'm still huffing and puffing, trying to keep up but I have become used to that. I justify it by saying that Seth (he's the one that inflicts the torture) has to earn his money somehow and I am just doing everyone a favor by giving them something to strive NOT to be. In the words of people that try to make me feel better when I get discouraged, "At least I am off the couch doing it. That's the first step." Yup. At least I'm off the couch doing it.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

You go, girl!!!! Love you, Kasey, you are so inspirational :) I sure do miss living close to the Boyles, and I'll love reading your blog!!!!

mara said...

Keep going Younger!!!

Minges said...

That is awesome, Kase! Way to go! Making yourself accountable will help to keep you going, too! Great idea. Good luck with your weight loss/getting back into shape journey. I am in the same boat as you! ~Minges

Anonymous said...

Well I'm impressed and will definitely be tuning in on a regular basis. Hope you will also continue to relay the humors tales of your 3 great children :). Mimi

Kristen said...

Proud of you and YOU GO GIRL!!!!

tlc said...

I am so impressed, kasey! Losing the weight from #3 has definitely been the roughest. CrossFit = scary!! Good for you! I will keep checking in... perhaps some before/after pics?

Silvaback said...

Hello everyone My name is Seth I am Kasey's torture/CrossFit coach lol. I just needed to get on here and let everyone know that even though Kasey plays it down a bit on what she has accomplished in the past two months make no mistakes she is a freaking rockstar in my book anytime someone puts fear aside and walks through the door of a CrossFit gym it is a very big deal! Its not easy and she does it again and again. I saw this blog and thought I needed to share some of Kasey's workout stats for her and all to see how far she has come in a short time. When she first started she could not do something we call the back squat and front squat with a pvc pipe with good form, today she does this with 75 pounds for twenty reps she is running faster, jumping higher, and getting stronger, she is day by day becoming and athlete this is truly amazing to me, all other CrossFitters understand this.Kasey I think you ARE what people SHOULD strive to be and that is courageous! You are brave and you are showing that you will not let fear and its evil cousin regret stand in your way to becoming fit! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your Blog.....a great idea! Now all the girls at the gym are asking for the link!I'm gonna post it on the board!